Connect with us

Sports

Sarri: I have spoken with Hazard and he hasn’t told me anything about wanting to leave

Published

on

Chelsea begin their Premier League campaign with a fixture against Huddersfield on Saturday afternoon, and Maurizio Sarri has reassured supporters that in several conversations with Eden Hazard the Belgian hasn’t told him anything about wanting to leave.

Real Madrid saw the former Lille forward as a candidate to help ease the strain of losing Cristiano Ronaldo, yet with his contract at Stamford Bridge having two years to run it was a deal that was difficult to complete.

“I’ve talked with Hazard three or four times and he hasn’t told me anything about wanting to leave,” he explained in Friday’s pre-match press conference.

“He’s with us now, so I think he’s happy to stay here.

“Courtois wanted to go to Madrid for personal reasons.”

With Los Blancos having completed the signing of Courtois, the Blues replaced him with Kepa Arrizabalaga in a deal which made the Spanish stopper the most expensive goalkeeper in history at 80 million euros.

“We have brought a young goalkeeper in, one of the most talented in Europe,” he intimated.

“I’m very happy with that, he’s young at 23 years old and I hope he can improve quickly.

“However, at the moment Kepa is not Courtois.”

As part of the deal to take the former Genk stopper to the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu, Mateo Kovacic joined Chelsea on a one-year loan deal in a move which suited all parties.

The Croatian had been desperate to leave the Spanish capital in search of first-team football, whilst Los Blancos see him as a valuable asset in their future plans.

Sarri is confident that the World Cup finalists can adapt to his style at Chelsea and help the club in their quest to reclaim the English crown.

“He has the right characteristics for our style,” he confirmed.

“He’s very technically gifted and can play between the lines of opposing teams.

“This will be very important for us.”

Credit: Marca

Latest

Most Read